Club‎ > ‎History‎ > ‎



January  1986  started  with  an  air  of  expectancy  awaiting  a  reply  from  Blue  Circle, the  Club  had  a  busy  year  ahead  with  many  social  events  arranged,  a half  marathon,  Christmas  Jamboree  and  a  5-a-side  competition  all  to raise  money  for  our  Clubhouse  be  it  the  one  we  would  build  on  Murston Park  or  now  on  a  more  positive  note  the  A.P.C.M.  Clubhouse.  The  Building Fund  stood  at  £4,715  with  the  Jamboree  having  raised  £212  and  the Christmas  Dance  £169.

On 7  February  a  letter  was  received  from  Blue  Circle  agreeing  to  the 10  year  Lease;  the  Clubs'  Officers  Rusty Burgin,  Sandra Tapp,  Colin Gunn  and  Peter Scales the  Land  Secretary  met  and  drew  up  a list  of  questions  for  the  Main  Club  Committee  to  go  through  to  cover most  aspects  on  the  negotiations.  On  18  February  these  are  the  points which  were  discussed  and  agreed:

1. Membership stood  at  284  plus  15  honorary  and  membership  would  be  frozen.

2. Existing Members of the A.P.C.M.  would be invited to join Woodcoombe.

3. The Rugby  team  had  also  wanted  to  Lease  the  Clubhouse  and  it  was  agreed that  for  the  time  being  they  would  not  be  invited  to  join  our  Club.

4 Existing bookings at the club would be honoured

5. A Planning  Committee  would  be  set  up  and  the  Officers  recommended:  Rusty Burgin  would  be  the  Chairman plus:  Peter Scales,  Colin,Gunn, Peter Wyeth,  Len Bateman,  Ray Oddy.

6. Blue Circle to be asked for information on Breweries

7. An Extra-Ordinary  General  Meeting  of  the  Members  be  called  and  a  letter sent  from  the  Chairman  with  an  update  and  letting  them  know  that  an E.G.M.  would happen.

8.    Trustees were discussed

9. Agreed the  Improvement  and  Development  of  the  Clubhouse  to  go  to  the  Planning Committee.

10. Also  agreed  Colin Gunn to  approach  the  bank  and  also  check  the  Fire  Regulations,  Peter Wyeth  to  look  at  Licences,  Peter Scales  to  write  to  our  Solicitor and  Peter  also  to  write  to  B.C.I.  offering £1,000 for the two snooker tables.  Also  agreed  that  we  take  on  our  own  staff  and  as  it  stood the  Lease  would  start  on  1  June  1986  at  £10,000  per  annum,  we  would ask  for  the  first  six  months  free  to  get  us  started.

On the  10  April  a  very  important  meeting  was  held  at  Blue  Circle  House in  Snodland  with  Rusty Burgin,  Sandra Tapp,  Colin Gunn  and   Peter Scales  representing  the  Club  with  three  B.C.I.  Officials.  There  was discussion  on  equipment  and  furniture,  rental  payments,  maintenance  standards, Licences,  fruit  machines  and  snooker  tables  (too  expensive  for  us  to buy  as  they  wanted  £5,000),  they  discussed  stock  taking,  running  costs, current  membership,  utilities  and    improvements,  they  also  agreed  a handover  date  of  2  June  1986 .

On 14  April  the  OFFICERS  reported  back  to  the  Main  Club  Committee who  went  through  everything  with a  fine  toothcomb,  and  Peter Scales reported  that  our  “guestimation”  figures  were  basically  on  target and  we  would  break  even  taking  into  account  the  first  years  rent  of £10,000  although  this  had  been  negotiated  to  £5,000  for  the  first  year taking  the  first  free  six  months  into  account.

The Main  Club  Committee  had  appointed  a  Bar  Sub-Committee,  (Planning  Committee) as  already  mentioned,    yes  a  lot  of  committees  but  all  necessary  with so  much  going  on.  This  committee's  task  was  to  discuss  staffing,  opening hours  and  to  appoint  a  BAR  MANAGER .  The  General  Secretary Sandra Tapp   wrote  to  the  Membership  on  29  March  inviting  applications from  the  Membership.  It  was  agreed  that  Rusty Burgin,  Peter Scales and  Brian Sherwood  who  was  independent  of  any  of  the  sub committees  would  do  the  interviewing.

Of course  whilst  all  this  was  going  on  life  elsewhere  in  the  Club  was bustling  too.  There  was  a  Valentine's  Disco  on  14  February  a  Youth Disco  on  22  February,  A  Hen  Night  on  24  March  which  Marion Gunn and  Sandra Tapp absolutely  worked  their  socks  off  and  the  tickets were  all  sold  in  no  time  at  all,  enough  money  was  raised  to  purchase the  80  chairs  on  sale  by  the  Fox  &  Goose  at  £5  each.

On 21  March  a  Horse  Racing  Evening  with  eight  teams  was  held,  on  the 12  April  there  was  a  50's  &  60's  disco  organised  by  the  Cricket Section,  and  on  the  15 th   June  a  Treasure  Hunt  -  the  Social Committee  were  in  full  flow  and  also  had  the  Presentation  Dinner  to organise.

The Presentation  Dinner  and  Dance  took  place  at  the  Town  Hall  on  9  May dancing  to  the  Bronx  Band  and  the  Club's  Awards  were  presented  to: Marion Gunn Member  of  the  Year,  Rose Hines Lady  of the  Year,  Sandra Tapp Chairman's  Award,  and  the  Murston  Park  Shield was  awarded  jointly  to  Colin Gunn and  Brian Bartlett.

On 28   April  the  Land  Management  Sub  Committee  Brian Bartlett, Colin Gunn, Peter Wyeth,  Shaun Burgin,  Ray Oddy  and  Peter Scales   the  Committee's Chairman,  reported  that  all  mowers  had  been  overhauled,  light  roller purchased,  the  broken  window  in  the  garage  was  boarded  up,  fencing repaired,  15  concrete  bollards  had  been  made  to  go  around  the  corner car  park  and  2  concrete  benches  had  been  purchased  for  £15.  Discussion took  place  on  repairs  to  the  ground  around  the  goalmouths  and  application of  weed killer  on  the  whole  field.  Topsoil,  ballast  and  turf  were  ordered, and  it  had  been  agreed  by  the  Main  Club  Committee  that  the  management of  the  changing  rooms  in  the  A.P.C.M.  would come under this committee. This  committee  met  once  a  month  but  the  upkeep  of  Murston  Park  was obviously  very  important  and  was  continuous;  with  everything  going  on regarding  the  Lease  of  the  A.P.C.M.  this  committee  just  got  on  with the  important  tasks  entrusted  to  them.

On 4  February  Rusty Burgin and  Sandra Tapp  attended  a  meeting of  Sittingbourne  Ladies  Hockey  Club  now  our  Hockey  Section  when  it transpired  that  they  were  worried  that  the  hockey  pitch  would  not  be ready  for  next  season,  Rusty  assured  them  that  everything  was on  schedule  for  the  pitch  and  the  Club  had  already  spent  £630  including their  donation  of  £250.  Sandra  and  Rusty were  told  that some  of  the  members  would  not  be  renewing  their  membership  with  Woodcoombe so  there  was  concern  for  the  section.  It  was  agreed  that  the  hockey players  hold  an  Extra-Ordinary  General  Meeting  and  get  back  to  us, at  the  E.G.M.  the  hockey  team  withdrew  from  the  Club  and  therefore the  section  no  longer  existed.  On  14  April  the  hockey  team  sent  Woodcoombe a  cheque  for  £150  towards  the  money  spent  on  Murston  Park.

This was  not  the  only  section  lost  to  the  Club  that  year,  in  June  Keith Baldock  the  Chairman  of  the  Video  Section  attended  the  Main  Club Committee  to  explain  that  due  to  rising  costs  the  section  could  not go  on  without  a  huge  cash  injection  which  would  not  be  asked  for, at  their  Annual  General  Meeting  the  section  had  therefore  agreed  to fold.  The  section  passed  over  £147.17  which  was  in  their  bank  account after  selling  off  old  videos  to  members.

On 23  April  an  Extra-Ordinary  General  Meeting  was  held  where  new  Rules were  accepted  giving  a  new  management  structure  and  the  Chairman  Rusty Burgin   was  able  to  answer  questions  about  the  proposed  leasing  of the  A.P.C.M.   The  position  of   Bar  Manager was  also  filled when  following  interviews  with  Charlie Harrington,  John Hook  and Colin Gunn,  it  was  announced  that  Colin Gunn  was  the  successful candidate.

At the  Annual  General  Meeting  in  May  the  following  were  elected:  Chairman, Rusty Burgin,  General  Secretary  Sandra Tapp,  Treasurer  Peter Scales,  replacing  Colin Gunn,  Membership  Secretary  Tony Cuthbert, Sections  Secretary  Brian Sherwood,  Social  Secretary  Ray Oddy, Bar  Secretary  Peter Wyeth,  Land  Secretary  Brian Bartlett, General  Committee  Members:  en Bateman, Bill Tingey,  Shaun Burgin and Cliff Hogan. Jock Weir chaired  the  meeting  as  Rusty Burbin was  sick  and  he  expressed  great  pleasure  at  the  Club's  progress. A  vote  of  thanks  went  to  Colin Gunn for  all  his  hard  work,  and thanks  went  to  Barrie Tapp and  Tim Byrne  for  once  again auditing  the  books – professionals  would  be  used  in  future.

There was  going  to  be  a  new  form  for  members  to  complete  which  covered all  members  of  the  family  and  would  show  the  category  of  a  member. Membership was agreed as £6 with nil for juniors.

There was  a  lot  of  buzz  and  excitement  around  the  Club  during  May  and  a lot  of  anticipation  as  to  when  it  would  all  happen.  On  10  June  Peter Scales  went  to  see  the  Club's  four  TRUSTEES  they  were the  four  people  who  had  signed  the  Lease  on  Murston  Park  on  behalf of  the  Club  and  they  were  about  to  sign  the  Lease  with  Blue  Circle for  the  A.P.C.M.  Clubhouse,  they  are:  Eddie Pilgrim,  George Gibson, Peter Scales  and  Ray Oddy.  Also at a  meeting  that  day  discussion took  place  on  Gaming  Licence  Application,  Insurance,  Health  and  Safety and  the  fact  that  the  Fire  Officer  was  now  satisfied  that  the  fire appliances  were  working.  The  committee  certainly  got  a  quart  from  a pint  with  all  the  things  they  had  to  do.

Amongst the  other  things  the  Main  Club  Committee  discussed  were  terms  of  reference for  the  Bar  Committee,  the  Land  Committee  and  the  Social  Committee. It  was  agreed  that  the  Assistant  Secretary  Chair  the  meetings  plus one  other  Main  Club  Committee Member and  3  other  members.  The  Land  Committee became  responsible  for  the  Changing  Rooms,  the  Bar  Committee  responsible for  the  activities  in  the  bar,  and also for the appointment of  Bar  Staff.

The Signed  Lease  was  finally  agreed  on  23  June  1986  and  we  also  went before  the  Magistrates  for  Application  for  a  Club  Licence.  On  the  24 th June  the  stock  takers  went  in  ours  was  Roy Jackson ,  a  price agreed  and  there  we  were  our  first  day  up  and  running.  £100  was  spent on  food  and  drink  to  wet  the  Club's  head,  after  22  years  with  no base  here  we  were  celebrating  and  toasting  WOODCOOMBE'S NEW  CLUBHOUSE  AND  NEW  HOME.

So what was this Clubhouse building like?  Firstly  it  was  conveniently  across the  road  to  our  playing  field  Murston  Park  and  secondly  it  had  potential for  expansion  and  maybe  one  day  purchase.

It had  changing  rooms,  a  hall  with  no  bar,  the  rear  windows  overlooked land  at  the  back  and  the  hall  was  next  to  the  kitchen,  from  the kitchen  window  you  could  see  the  overgrown  bowling  green  and  land. Opposite the kitchen in the hallway were the toilets.  The  games  room/bar  also overlooked  the  bowling  green  and  the  other  side  of  the  window  is  where the  new  lounge  with  small  stage  now  stands.  The  bar  was  small  and back  to  back  with  the  kitchen,  and  the  snooker  tables  were  in  the same  position  as  in  2004 .  There  was  no  entrance  lobby  as  Members used  the  main  door  situated  in  the  centre  of  the  front  of  the  building. The  walled  car  park  was  there  but  no  parking  down  the  side  and  no gates,  also  no  tennis  court  went  with  the  land.

In June  Colin Gunn  and  SandraTapp  went  to  see  Mr  Earl  at the  Nat.  West  Bank  to  ask  for  a  loan  of  £5,000,  just  in  case  we needed  it.  At  one  point  during  the  discussion  Colin kicked  Sandra's foot  under  the  table,  think  he  must  have  thought  she  was  about to  put  that  foot  “in  it”.  As  a  result  of  the  meeting  a  loan  was agreed  but  the  bank  wanted  Guarantors  for  the  money.  It  is  well  known that  when  they  came  out  of  the  bank  Colin  said  to  Sandra  “time  to  put  your  money  where  your  mouth  is”.

On 11  July  at  a  meeting  at  Sandra's  house  the  following  five  people put  pen  to  paper  and  acted  as  GUARANTORS  for  the  Club to  the  tune  of  £1,000  each.  They  were:  Sandra Tapp,  Colin Gunn,  Ray Oddy,  Eddie Pilgrim  and  Tony Cuthbert.   There  were  of  course others  who  would  have  done  the  same,  but  this  shows  the  confidence these  five  had  not  only  in  themselves,  that  they  would  make  it  all work  out,  but  the  great  confidence  they  all  had  in  each  other's  abilities. In  effect  the  GUARANTORS  were  putting  their  own  necks  on the  line!

There were  of  course  lots  of  jobs  to  do  around  the  Clubhouse  including  washing walls  and  what  a  wonderful  member  we  had  in  Marion Gunn who  set about  making  curtains  for  the  hall,  lounge,  games  room  and  finally the  stage.

Just to  give  an  idea  of  the  things  going  on,  still  at  pace,  up  until the  end  of  the  year,  there  were  new  pumps  fitted  behind  the  bar, ice  making  machine  installed,  lager  offer  from  Whitbread  taken  up,  we were  looking  at  smoke  extractors,  a  new  tape  player  for  the  music in  the  bar  was  purchased,  Charlie Barker  worked  hard  keeping  the snooker  tables  in  order  and  Cheryl Oddy came  by  three  second-hand table  tennis  tables.  A new cooker was purchased, glasses   and an Electronic Dart Scorer.

Obviously the  Club  was  looking  to  save  as  much  money  as  possible  and  on  7th July  the  General  Secretary  wrote  to  MR  THOMAS  at  Swale  Borough  Council asking  for  a  rent  reduction  on  Murston  Park,  in  November  he  came  back with  a  3  year  reduction  the  rent  being  halved  to  £300  per  annum.

On 6  July  the  Football  Section  hosted  a  Senior  5  a-side  competition  which attracted  40  teams,  the  main  organisers  were :  Barrie Tapp,  Dave Matthews and  Fred Grover  and  Barrie  had  invited  any  boys  over 13  in  the  Club  who  would  like  to  be  ball  boys  to  get  in  touch. The event brought £500 into the Club!

5 a-side  was  a  sport  the  Club  excelled  at  and  the  following  players represented  South  East  England  against  teams  like  Scotland  and  Northern Ireland  at  Luton  on  5/6 July:  Richard Lusted,  Daren Hines,  Wayne Lewer, John Hancock  and  John Kaye.   The  Under  16  team  won  the  National Association  of  Youth  Clubs  Great  Britain  Trophy.

During 1986   the  Club  also  took  on  two  major  events  to  raise  money for  the  Club.  They were the half marathon and a second Christmas Jamboree. A  lot  of  planning  for  the  half  marathon  took  place  in  1985  but these  continued  at  pace  as  the  race  was  run  on  Sunday  April  6 th .

In March  the  Club  was  devastated   to  learn  of  the  death  of  Cliff Clements   whilst  out  running,  Cliff left  wife  Sylvia and  daughters Alison and  Sarah .  Sittingbourne  Lights  donated  a  CLIFF CLEMENTS  MEMORIAL  TROPHY to be presented to  the  first  Woodcoombe runner  to  finish.

In true  Woodcoombe  tradition  the  half  marathon  committee  picked  itself  up and  got  on  with  the  arrangements.  Sandra Tapp,  Marion and  Colin Gunn  spent  many  mornings  together  planning,  Marion made  armbands for  the  marshals  and  jackets  and  did  many  of  the  posters  to  go  around the  course,  Colin, amongst  other  things,  prepared  the  Runners' pack  which  contained  all  the  information  the  runners  could  need.  and Sandra  never  left  the  typewriter  and  issued  the  running numbers and packs as the entries  came  in  with  help  from  daughter Sue Tapp  and  husband  Barrie Tapp -  there  was  a  great  deal  to  do.  The  running numbers  were  issued  according  to  sex,  age  and  speed,  for  example  the Over  Forties   i.e.  Veterans, had numbers in the 400 range for easy identification. Maybe  one  of  the  funniest  things  was  collecting  the  cones  from  the Town  Hall  to  go  down  the  A249,  not  many  per  car!  Putting  up  the Start  and  Finish  flags  fell  to  Colin   these  had  to  be  placed perfectly  so  that  the  distance  was  an  exact  ½  Marathon.

In March  Sandra Tapp   sent  out  letters  to  all  the  volunteers  who would  be  marshalling  the  course  to  tell  them  where  they  would  be  positioned on  the  course  and  the  approximate  time  the  runners  would  pass,  a  car would  follow  the  tail  enders  and  the  marshals  would  be  told  when  their task  was  completed.  A  full  briefing  of  the  120  marshals,  69  on  the course  was  held  on  April  2 nd   so  that  the  marshals  could get  an  overall  impression  of  what  would  occur,  they  also  heard  a  few words  from  Chief  Inspector  Coltham.  They  were  each  sent  a  marked  map to  show  them  where  they  would  be  standing.

Also briefed  were  the  early  risers  who  would  drive  round  the  course  putting up  the  direction  signs  on  the  lampposts.  The  team  at  the  Clubhouse included  timekeepers  in  case  anything  went  wrong  with  the  clock,  once again  Bill Tingey  was  holding  a  clip  board  as  he  was  in  charge of  this  department,  his  crew  included  all  Main  Club  Committee  Members and  their  wives  not  otherwise  engaged,  holding  stop  watches.  Keith Baldock was responsible for the C.B.  system  and  Maggie Scales  and Jackie Sherwood  the  canteen .  Brian Bartlett also  had  a clip  board  as  he  was  to  navigate  the  lead  car  around  the  course. Brian Sherwood was  responsible   for  getting  runners  over  to  the funnel  system,  Sandra Tapp  was  in  the  hall  collating  the  finishing order  and  Colin Gunn  was  everywhere  else!    Chairman  Rusty Burgin  looked  after  the  guests  including  The  Mayor  and  Counsellors.  In  her newsletter  in  March  to  the  members  Sandra wrote  the  following:

“ The long  awaited  day  the  Club's  half  marathon  will  soon  be  here  and  let's hope  it  will  be  as  prestigious  for  Sittingbourne  as  I  am  sure  it will  be  for  the  Club.  The race will be started at Murston Park at 10 a.m.  by  The Mayor  with  Miss  Sittingbourne  in  attendance,  and  the  race  will  take between  1hr 10mins  and  2.5  hours  to  complete,  presentations  will  be made  at  12.00 noon.  If  you  come  down  to  the  Park  leave  your  car  as there  will  be  Police  No  Waiting  Signs.  Here  seems  a  good  place  to thank  Sittingbourne  Police  and  Swale  Borough  Council  for  their  fantastic co-operation.


 FUN  CASTLE,  CANTEEN,  BAR,  and  Murston  Scouts  manning  our  Baggage   Tents. There is a P.A.  System  over  which  you  can  hear  the  progress  of  the race  thanks  to  the  wonder  of  C.B.s.  A  funnel  system  with  a  computer is  used  at  the  Finish,  and  Swale  Motors  are  providing  a  car  to  carry our  double  sided  clock.  Prizes:  £100  Holiday  Vouchers  for  first  man and  woman,  ticket  for  2  plus  car  to  Holland  from  Olau  second  place, Veteran's  Cup  from  Harpers,  £50  petrol  for  first  Sittingbourne  runner from  Swale  Motors  and  the  Cliff  Clements  Memorial  Cup   donated by  the  Christmas  Lights  committee  for  the  first  Woodcoombe  runner. 

There will  be  20  specials  on  the  course   plus  2  police  cars  and  2  police motor  cyclists  and  St.  John's  Ambulance,  our  thanks  to  them,  also  65 of  our  own  Marshals,  three  Junior  Football  teams  on  the  drinks  stations plus  the  “Rosettes”  our  girls,  on  another.  There  will  also  be  6  C.B. cars  and  our  thanks  to  Swale  Breakers  for  their  help.

The route  is  as  follows:  Murston  Park,  Dolphin  Road,  Castle  Rd.,  Eurolink Way,  Crown  Quay,  St.  Michaels  Rd.,  passed  the  station  and  under  bridge to  Mill  Way  roundabout,  Church  St., Chalkwell  Rd., A.2,  Staplehurst  Rd., Windmill  Rd.  Laxton  Way  (Drinks  Station),  Vicarage  Rd,  North  St., Grovehurst Rd., Bramblefield  Lane,  Sheppey  Way,  Key  St  A.2,  Sandford  Rd.,  Gadby Rd.,  Staplehurst  Rd., back  to  Chalkwell  roundabout,  Millway  Roundabout, station,  St.  Michael's  Rd., East  St.,  Harold  Rd., Thomas Rds., Woodberry Drive  (Drinks  Station),  Keswick  and  Vincent,  back  to  A.2  down  to  Hempstead Lane  and  passing  Duck  Pond,  Tong  Rd.,  Oak  Rd.,  Broom  Rd,  Portland Ave.,  Tong  Rd.,  Church  Rd.,  Murston  Park.

Runners to  watch  for:  Woodcoombe  Teams  chasing  Courage's  Prize:  Team  A:  131 Tim BryneE,  132  Mark Clements,  133  Neil Matthews,  134  Clive Rossiter  - Team  K  312  Peter Wyeth,  313  Steve Hammond,  362  Robert Bartlett, 372  Shaun Burgin.   Watch  out  for  teams  E – H  the  Fox  &  Goose -  Dave Cogger  309,  Bob Grover  371,  Peter Hearne  428  (running  for Hospital),  Sue Lambert  also  running  for  the  hospital,  and  Graham Ware all  Woodcoombe.  All  our  runners  need  sponsorship  and  I  will be  pleased  to  take  offers  of  sponsorship  for  them,  the  money  raised will  go  to  the  Clubhouse.  No. 45 is Lynn Hughes ex-world record holder at 40 miles.  Other  runners  of  interest  locally  and  are  very  fast  are: Martyn  Underwood  No. 5  from  Bapchild,  No. 30  William  Keevil  from  Cheshire, No. 10  Paul  Constable  from  Rainham,  Tony  Ervin  No. 18  from  Sheerness, and  Dave  Deevoy  from  Periwinkle  Close No.28.  Annie Briggs No. 17 is the fastest recorded lady.  There are 35 ladies.  I  hope  this  list  helps  you enjoy  the  race  even  more.  SPONSERS!  I  forgot  No. 151  Steve steer a  member  of  our  ½  Marathon  Committee!


The race  was  won  by  Anthony  Irwin  in  a  time  of  with  Martin Underdown  second,  he  was  also  the  first  local  runner,  the first  lady  was  Susan  Martin  in  and  the  first  Veteran  Lynn Hughes  in  Our  own  Committee  Member  P eter Wyeth proudly carried  off  THE  CLIFF  CLEMENTS  MEMORIAL  TROPHY  for  the first  Woodcoombe  runner,  and  Medway  Veteran's  won  the  team  award.  Our own teams finished in 6th and 7th places.

After the  race  the  Club  received  many  letters  of  congratulations,  one  was from  Matt  Davitt  of  Cambridge  Harriers  and  read:

“Having just  completed  my  seventh  ½  Marathon  of  1986  I  must  congratulate  you and  your  team  on  a  very  well  organised  event  also  on  the  excellent quality  of  finishers  medal."

Points: Well Policed – Well Marshalled – Drinks Stations, just right!  And  an  excellent course  (Don't  change  it,  please)  -  security  for  our  belongings – splendid (A  thing  bigger  events  don't  ever  consider)  and  most  of  all  how  pleasant and  helpful  everyone  was.  Unfortunately  the  day  was  cold  but  it  won't be  like  that  every  year.  Once again thank you for a most enjoyable day.

P.S. I  was  a  Scottish  International  Long  Distance  Athlete  until  last  year when  I  had  to  have  a  heart-pace-maker   implant  and  am  just  getting back  to  a  sort  of  fitness,  and  am  also  pleased  to  say  that  I  did a  personal  best  on  Sunday,  on  the  races  I've  done  after  my  transplant.”

After the  successful  race  a  Race  Results  Sheet  had  to  be  compiled  using the  numbers  and  times,  Keith Baldock  offered  to  help  on  this  one and  did  it  on  his  computer.  Unfortunately  Keith  was  not  around  the following  years  to  do  this  which  would  leave   Sandra  and  Colin   the  extensive  job  of  doing  it  manually. In  September  the  ½  Marathon Committee  started  meeting  again  joined  by  A lison Clements  and  planning  for  1987   started.

The second  big  event  which  the  Club  staged  again  was  THE  CHRISTMAS JAMBOREE,  Rose Hines started  rehearsing  the  cast  on  a  Tuesday evening  in  July  and  once  again  with  Una Burgin her  assistant  what a  production  they  put  on  over  three  nights.

Rose was  the  Master  of  Ceremonies  this  time  and  introduced  Matt Vinyl  and  the  Emulsions   who  did  various  musical  turns  throughout the  show,  she  also  called  on  Terry Barton to  help  out  throughout the  show  with  his  guitar  and  he  did  a  routine  on  his  own.  Gary Maslin  introduced  the  ROSETTES ,  the  same  line  up  as  last year  who  did  the  12  Days  of  Christmas  using  the  large  cards  to  get audience  participation.  Diane Yardley's Family tap-danced  as  the  Cockney Tappers  and  Pea Mount did  a  Christmas  monologue.

“The Flanagan's” were a big hit with Terry Wellard,John Rees, Albert Stubberfield and Terry Harper dressed  to  look the  part  and  singing the  part!  The  Puppeteers  was  also  an  act  with  a  difference, two  puppeteers working  two  human  puppets:  Jo Pilgrim, Kara Sweeney,  Heidi Stonecliff  and  Emma Hawkins.   In the middle  of  the  show  there  was  an  emergency  when Peter Scales   was rushed down  the  hall  on  a  stretcher  onto  the stage, we then witnessed an operation in shadow  behind a curtain, very  good, a  large  saw  was  used  and  bits  came  out  of  the  body,  at  the  end surgeon  Wendy Bryant appeared  with  a  healed  Peter Scales!

We were  entertained  by  the angelic  voices  of  Lorraine  and  Michelle,  and  charmed  by  the  little  ones  doing  their  nativity  scene,  then  on came  the  very  serious  comedy  duo  of  Curry  and  Champagne,  Ray Oddy  and  Tina Tingey  with  “Goodness  Gracious  Me” ,  say no more!

The Silhouettes  had  a  new  line-up  from  last  year  with  Chris Thorne,  Kath Jaques,  Wendy Bryant,  Una Burgin and  Sandra Tapp singing  well  known oldies;  and  once  again  the  ROSETTES  did  several  dances  including the  finally  “Can  Can”,   again  a  sensation.

“Play Your  Cards  Right” for  audience  participation  was  excellent with  Brian Bartlett  doing  an  excellent  “Brucey”  assisted  by  Deborah Burgin.  The  cards  were  brilliant  and  as  good  as  those  on  the  telly and  were  drawn  by  Richard Shepherd.

Behind the  scenes  Brian Sherwood  was  on  the  lights  and  David Burgin   co-ordinated  the  opening  and  closing  of  the  curtains,  Stage  Manager at  the  back,  nothing  moved  without  his  say  so,  was  Bill Tingey  (must have  been  born  with  that  clipboard),  and  Colin Gunn  Trouble-shooter. What  a  wonderful  job  Rose Hines   and  Una Burgin   did.

December was  very  busy  in  the  Club,  our  first  Christmas,  there  was  a  Christmas Bazaar,    130  children  attended  the  Christmas  party  and  Santa  did  house calls  on  Christmas  morning,  there  was  a  Christmas  Eve  disco  and  Boxing Day  lunchtime  disco  and  all  the  tickets  for  New  Year's  Eve  were  sold.

At year  end  the  Club  had  457  Full  Members,  17  Honorary  and  54  O.A.P.s and  the  Club  was  showing  a  profit  of  £6,895.01,  a  very  healthy  way to  close  the  year,  and  what  a  year  1986  was!!!